[Pdns-users] TXT record parsing errors due to special characters

Thu Sep 13 12:01:29 UTC 2012

Hi!

We use pdns 3.1 (2607) as slave and we see several errors like:

pdns[777]: Exception building answer packet (Unable to parse DNS TXT
'"v=spf1 a include:spf.emailfiltering.com –all"') sending out servfail

The TXT record looks good:

regdns=# select content from records where type = 'TXT' AND content LIKE
'%include:spf.emailfiltering.com%';
                     content
  "v=spf1 a include:spf.emailfiltering.com –all"

But when I fetch the record from the master I see there are special
characters in the record and the dash is actually an UTF-8 encoded en-dash:

;; ANSWER SECTION:
example.com.     3600    IN      TXT    \
  "v=spf1 a include:spf.emailfiltering.com \226\128\147all"

Of course the records seems to be misconfigured (copy-paste error).

But shouldn't pdns deliver the record although there is binary data?

regards
Klaus