[Pdns-users] Automatically delete zones that are deleted on Supermaster

Peter van Dijk peter.van.dijk at netherlabs.nl
Wed Oct 31 09:02:55 UTC 2012

Hello,

On Oct 30, 2012, at 19:18 , ktm at rice.edu wrote:

> It would be hideously ugly, but you could leverage a special content DNS
> record to allow the super master to tell the slave that the domain is or
> will be deleted. It would require a little bit of smarts/timing and cooperation
> but it should work.

Defining the message is the easy part. PowerDNS, as a master, does not
actually notice domains appearing or disappearing at all. It just works with
whatever's there, every cycle. In other words, for this proposal, a master
would need a bunch of heuristics to recognise 'removed' domains.

I say, if we are going to do heuristics, do them in the superslave, so people
with non-PowerDNS masters benefit too. Simply put, Mark's script still sounds
like the best idea.

Kind regards,
--
Peter van Dijk