[Pdns-users] IMPORTANT: please help us test the uncommon backends!

Peter van Dijk peter.van.dijk at netherlabs.nl
Wed Oct 31 08:57:47 UTC 2012

Hello,

On Oct 29, 2012, at 19:39 , a b wrote:

> As far as I know, Oracle corporation does not support Debian - the only two Linux operating systems it does support are Oracle enterprise Linux and redhat enterprise Linux, and that with Oracle enterprise Linux essentially being a redhat derivative.
>
> So as far as Oracle is concerned, one may run an Oracle database on any Linux operating system, so long as that operating system is a redhat enterprise Linux derivative.

I've come to understand the same, yes - and even on RHEL, installing it is a pain.

> > (b) set up a testing instance on your end. I'm happy to provide any details about our Jenkins setup to make that easy.
>
> That will be another problem - our company strictly and explicitly forbids using Java anywhere, for anything. And Jenkins a Java application.
>
> But all things considered, since Solaris 10 can be downloaded for free and does not need a license for development / testing, it is trivial to set up yet another VM.
>
> Is that out of the question? Should I even ask "why"?

The VM box we use for development cannot host Solaris. Ignoring that, my lack of experience with Solaris -and- Oracle would make this a time-consuming project which means other projects with more immediate benefits get preference.

Kind regards,
--
Peter van Dijk
Netherlabs Computer Consulting BV - http://www.netherlabs.nl/