[Pdns-users] pdns with one mysql backend down and one up fails to process queries

Peter van Dijk peter.van.dijk at netherlabs.nl
Mon Oct 29 08:42:01 UTC 2012

Hello Stefan,

On Oct 29, 2012, at 9:39 , Stefan Tobé wrote:

> Thanks, for you reply
> Is it correct -taking your answer into account- to state that multiple Mysql backends configured in pdns.conf is only there to provide load balancing to the mysq servers and NOT to increase availability of a backend to the dns service?
> In other words: if load on the mysql backend is not a problem there is no reason at all to have more then one mysql instance from a powerdns perspective?

Multiple backends in PowerDNS are not a load balancing or stability feature. PowerDNS normally queries -all- backends for -every- query, assuming each backend might have different domains.

If you want load balancing or failover, right now I would suggest an external solution like HAproxy or mysql-proxy.

Kind regards,
--
Peter van Dijk
Netherlabs Computer Consulting BV - http://www.netherlabs.nl/