[Pdns-users] IMPORTANT: please help us test the uncommon backends!

Peter van Dijk peter.van.dijk at netherlabs.nl
Mon Oct 29 08:40:45 UTC 2012

Hello,

On Oct 28, 2012, at 23:04 , a b wrote:

> We cannot live without the "oracle" (not "goracle") backend; if it weren't for it, PowerDNS would not be a viable option.
>
> If you can tell us exactly what it is that you would need to keep supporting it, we might be able to produce it.
>
> We currently have pdns 3.1 running with the "oracle" backend. Attempts to get it running with "opendbx" and "goracle" failed after much trial and error.

To support a backend, it needs to be tested automatically - preferably after each commit. Our testing infrastructure runs Debian 6, and as far I have seen, setting up Oracle on it would be a pain.

To get the oracle backend into testing, I see two options
(a) provide us with good and reliable instructions on getting Oracle to run on Debian 6, without messing up the system with lots of non-packaged stuff.
(b) set up a testing instance on your end. I'm happy to provide any details about our Jenkins setup to make that easy.

Furthermore, the patches in http://wiki.powerdns.com/trac/ticket/527 could use some review from somebody with an actual deployment.

Kind regards,
--
Peter van Dijk