[Pdns-users] pdns-recursor local-address

bert hubert bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl
Fri Oct 26 05:35:11 UTC 2012

On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 10:52:44AM -0400, John Miller wrote:
> Could someone point me to some docs for these "UNIX semantics?"  For
> some perspective, we're running an Apache server (with multiple
> IPs), listening on 0.0.0.0, that returns traffic from the IP it
> received its traffic on.

Like Marc explained, this is all about UDP. The kernel does not *know* which
address to respond from using standard UNIX system calls.

Starting with the upcoming PowerDNS Authoritative Server 3.2, this is fixed
however. For details, see
http://bert-hubert.blogspot.nl/2012/10/on-binding-datagram-udp-sockets-to-any.html

	Bert