[Pdns-users] wildcard dns record behaviour

Peter van Dijk peter.van.dijk at netherlabs.nl
Tue Nov 13 13:31:41 UTC 2012

Hello Emiel,

On Nov 12, 2012, at 23:50 , Emiel van Berlo wrote:

> What's the correct behaviour of wildcard dns records?
>
> I have this :
>
> *.domain.com A 1.1.1.1
> *.sub1.domain.com A 2.2.2.2
> *.sub2.domain.com A 3.3.3.3
>
> When I ping sub1.domain.com I get the ip 1.1.1.1
> When I ping sub2.domain.com I get nothing.
>
> If I get the RFC right both should return nothing.

I agree, both should return nothing (assuming you have no 'sub1' or 'sub2' records, of course).

PowerDNS behaviour in this area has varied over time - on what version are you seeing this behaviour? Can you try on 3.2-rc1?

If you can confirm on 3.2-rc1, please post your config and your zone data in native format (be it a mysqldump or a bindbackend zone file).

Kind regards,
--
Peter van Dijk
Netherlabs Computer Consulting BV - http://www.netherlabs.nl/