[Pdns-users] PDNS Reverse DNS lookup recursion

Peter van Dijk peter.van.dijk at netherlabs.nl
Thu Nov 8 09:20:56 UTC 2012

Hello Gordon,

On Nov 6, 2012, at 14:50 , GordonJB wrote:

> I have a PDNS server set up with a zone and reverse zone for our domain
> (here 1.2.3.4), and have the recursor configured to forward requests not in
> our recognized zones to another DNS server on the network (here 1.2.0.4).
> While this works fine for hostname lookups, it doesn't seem to work for
> reverse DNS. If I dig an IP that is in PDNS' reverse zone, that works fine,
> but any other IP's fail outright.

> pdns.conf:
> allow-recursion=10.0.0.0/8,192.168.0.0/16
> allow-recursion-override=off
> daemon=yes
> disable-axfr=yes
> guardian=yes
> launch=gmysql
> lazy-recursion=yes
> local-address=1.2.3.4
> local-port=53
> recursor=1.2.0.4
>
> recursor.conf:
> forward-zones= example.local=1.2.3.4, other.net=1.2.0.4,
> 3.2.1.in-addr.arpa=1.2.3.4
> local-address=127.0.0.1
> local-port=53

There are two ways to fix this.

The best way is to make your clients talk to your recursor - that way forward-zones controls exactly what they see.

The second best way is to make sure your pdns_server does not have an in-addr.arpa zone (like you apparently have), and making sure it only has the zones you actually want to be overridden.

Kind regards,
--
Peter van Dijk
Netherlabs Computer Consulting BV - http://www.netherlabs.nl/