[Pdns-users] Automatically delete zones that are deleted on Supermaster

Mon Nov 5 13:17:45 UTC 2012

On 29.10.2012 19:55, a b wrote:
>  > You could do the replication in the database (e.g. postgresql with
>  > slony). Then you do not need the supermaster feature.
>
> That is something we are actually trying to avoid at all costs: we have
> Oracle doing regular notify and transfer requests on port 53.
>
> We explicitly do not want to depend on any particular database features
> for DNS records' replication.
>
> However, what we do want is synchronous multimaster replication, which
> gives one HA clustering. Last I checked, "slony" does not do that,
> unless there have been changes since.

True, we only have a Postgresql Master node and replicate to the slave
nodes. Every public DNS server uses a slave DB. And for HA reasons the
master has a standby node (domU replication with DRBD).

Using purely DNS for zone replication (supermaster) is nice and sounds
great, but also has disadvantages, e.g. it is not reliable: If the
NOTIFY could not be delivered to the slave, then the slave is
inconsistent. So, you need another mechanism to verify and update slaves
which failed to receive the NOTIFY.

regards
Klaus