[Pdns-users] Not working forward-zones=abc.com=10.51.100.8

Muhammad Yousuf Khan sirtcp at gmail.com
Fri May 18 12:26:43 UTC 2012

On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 4:40 PM, abang <abang at t-ipnet.net> wrote:

> Am 18.05.2012 12:48, schrieb Muhammad Yousuf Khan:
>>
>> any one can help plz?
>>

>> Now I am using reporting tool sarg which i hope your are aware of, that is
>> generating reports against SQUID log by default sarg generates IP base
>> reports, further more there is an option in sarg report by which we can
>> convert IP address to FQDN to make it more user-friendly to understand .
>> but for that it is necessary that Squid box must communicate with Local DNS
>> in order to resolve these IP (reverse lookup) and convert it back to FQDN,
>> and also for other purposes I need my Squid box to recognize my local DNS
>> and send all the concern query only to the local DNS which is  10.51.100.8.
>

>> forward-zones=abc.com=10.51.100.8
>

> PTR RRs are stored in the "in-addr.arpa." zone. So you will need to have an additional entry:
>
> forward-zones=<REPLACE_ME>.in-addr.arpa=10.51.100.8

but as  you can see the log. what my question is, why dig command does
not giving me the ipaddress of "ykhan.abc.com" this is a true host and
i already have set.  forward-zones=abc.com=10.51.100.8
but no luck,

what i am expecting is. first , i would like to resolve my internal
network client computer names to IPs then reverse lookup would be the
subsequent step but first i want to rach my local machines/servers my
ping ykha.abc.com which is a correct host but righ now ping is giving
me the error "unknown host" which means DNS entry could not be found
by the linux box.