[Pdns-users] Empty CNAME will result "server can't find: NXDOMAIN"

Thomas Faddegon thomas at wapnet.nl
Sun May 6 08:21:59 UTC 2012

Hello Peter,

Google and amazon use CNAME's instead of A to point to their webservers.
Some example:
http://blog.cloudflare.com/zone-apex-naked-domain-root-domain-cname-supp#!/

Amazon and Google have the right to modify the IP of their CNAME so if you
use an A record to make http://example.com working and their modify the IP
then http://example.com isn't working anymore.

I'll get more and more requests from customers that asked me to create an
"apex cname" for there domains. Apex CNAME's in combination with Microsoft
DNS works correctly (even the RFC isn't support this officially). Apex
CNAME's in PowerDNS also works but the MX are broken after the change.

Is there any other way with PowerDNS to workaround this?

PS. I found the RFC about this issue: http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1912.html

Regards,
Thomas