[Pdns-users] edns subnet response not as expected

Peter van Dijk peter.van.dijk at netherlabs.nl
Mon Jun 11 07:45:21 UTC 2012

Hello David,

On Jun 10, 2012, at 22:36 , David Hawthorne wrote:

> When I send a request with dig +client=123.123.123.123, I always get a response witha netmask of /1:
>
> ; CLIENT-SUBNET: 123.123.123.123/32/1
>
> I can't find a way to change that /1 to something else.  Google returns a /19 there.  Shouldn't this be a configurable?
>
> see more at: http://wilmer.gaa.st/edns-client-subnet/
>
> I'm using the pipebackend, too, and I'm wondering if maybe the response from pipebackend could include the client-subnet response portion, so the netmask used in the response can be dynamic based on my own criteria.

When using pipe ABI v3 (as you presumably are), this is the response format:
DATA	scopebits	auth	qname		qclass	qtype	ttl	id	content

scopebits is the variable you should be tweaking. Note that this is documented at http://doc.powerdns.com/backends-detail.html#pipebackend-protocol

Kind regards,
--
Peter van Dijk