[Pdns-users] Managing PTR Records with poweradmin

Daniel L. Miller dmiller at amfes.com
Fri Jun 8 15:03:34 UTC 2012

On 6/8/2012 5:14 AM, Odhiambo Washington wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> Thank you all for the support I have received so far. I come again for
> more:)
>
> I have been doing the RTFM, but I seem to have missed a step and
> cannot find the documentation - mayeb just cloudy eyes!
>
> How does one manage PTR Records with poweradmin-2.1.6?
>
> I have googled, and found this gracious HOWTO
> <http://www.howtoforge.com/installing-powerdns-with-mysql-backend-and-poweradmin-on-ubuntu-8.10-p2>
> but that screen for managing PTR is nothing closer to what I have on
> mine, so maybe it's an old one.
>
> Kindly point me to the correct path - current documentation and I will
> eagerly read.

You need to create a PTR zone, for example 0.168.192.in-addr.arpa.  Then
have the NS & PTR records in that zone.  This is how PowerDNS works -
Poweradmin just provides a management tool.

2.1.6 is supposed to be able to automatically add PTR records when new A
records are created - I haven't tried that yet.

--
Daniel