[Pdns-users] Enforcing clients to use TCP for DNS queries

Peter van Dijk peter.van.dijk at netherlabs.nl
Mon Jun 4 19:37:35 UTC 2012

Hello Oguz,

On Jun 4, 2012, at 16:03 , Oguz Yilmaz wrote:

> AFAIK, standard says "send <truncated> response to Udp queries with
> more then 500 bytes in query or response. (If not, correct me pls.). I
> want to able to enforce users to use directly TCP. Is it possible with
> pdns to enforce such a conversion? The server is not a public or not a
> recursive server

You cannot, from the server side, enforce users to use TCP directly - clients initiate communication and they do that over UDP.

If you mean that you want to force all communications from UDP to TCP immediately, you could patch PowerDNS to always set the TC (truncated) bit.

But I have to ask: why?

Kind regards,
--
Peter van Dijk