[Pdns-users] Per zone settings aka Domain Metadata

Gerrit gerrit at nedlinux.nl
Mon Jun 25 10:21:47 UTC 2012

Hi all,

I'm a bit stuck on this point where i want to use the SOA-EDIT setting.

It's a very handy to force a regular update of the slaves. We use pdns
3.1 as master and 2 installs of bind 9.7 as slaves

With testing i discoverd two things when i enabled this on a testdomain
of mine.  Setting : SOA-EDIT  --> INCEPTION.

-- When our own SOA serial ( yyyymmddxx where xx is incremented every
record change on a single day ) is higher than the one provided
by PDNS, the bind slaves won't get updated.  In my case it was
2012062400 in my SOA and  2012062101 provided by pdns.

-- When a record in a zone is changed, the SOA serial does not change,
so again no update of the slaves.
This would mean, that a slave won't get updated until pdns increments
the SOS serial, with the result it can take quite a while before the
slaves get updated, which is unwanted.

With the database backend ( we use gmysql ) with db-replication, it
won't be a problem to overcome these things, but in my case, it's a bit
more difficult ;)

I don't know if the SOA behavior is intended behaviour, or is it open
for some rewriting the base ?

Best Regards,

Gerrit
Nedlinux.nl