[Pdns-users] forward-zones-recurse

Brad Dameron (Ericsson) Brad.Dameron at clearwire.com
Sat Feb 4 15:37:02 UTC 2012

> Hello Brad,
>
> On Feb 3, 2012, at 21:18 , Brad Dameron (Ericsson) wrote:
>
> > I see this is in the newer recursor. Could this be used to forward
> all requests? What I am trying to do, and will look at using lua to do,
> is to forward all requests from certain IP addresses to another
> recursor but do DNS replies for other IP's.
> >
> > Example:
> > Customer IP:
> > 1.1.1.1                   --- Forwarded
> > 4.2.3.1                   --- Forwarded
> >
> > 1.1.1.2                   --- DNS Resolved
> > 1.1.1.3                   --- DNS Resolved
> >
> > I need to use LUA because these IP's could change on the fly. Is this
> possible?
>
> forward-zones-recurse forwards questions while keeping the RD bit on.
> However, I don't believe you can control this from Lua on a per-request
> basis.
>
> Could you say a bit more about what problem you are trying to solve?

I have a customer that needs me to able to forward DNS or change the users DNS via DHCP to the customers DNS on the fly. This is done if the user exceeds certain bandwidth limitations and allows the customer to redirect the user to a billing page or what not. DHCP can be used to do this but there is the lease time delay. I was thinking this could be done easier with my local DNS. That way I don't have to make any changes to DHCP and handle it much faster. I was hoping I could use forward-zones-recurse to forward certain users DNS to the customers DNS when required.

Thanks,
Brad