[Pdns-users] Glue-Records in PowerDNS 3.x

Peter van Dijk peter.van.dijk at netherlabs.nl
Mon Dec 24 21:14:04 UTC 2012

Hello,

On Dec 24, 2012, at 8:35 , Hawara wrote:

> I changed records like this (removed the dot at the end):
>
> and it works:
> I have a question - is this a bug or a feature? Is NS record without a
> dot at the end valid?
> What should we do with dots at the end of records? Should we remove
> all dots at the end of NS records, or from some other record types as
> well?
> Won`t it point to ns1.vh.silverplate.ru.silverplate.ru without dot?

Within PowerDNS (with the very important exception of the bindbackend zone file parser),
all names are fully qualified. PowerDNS will not append origins to names without dots
in any circumstance, as far as I am aware of.

This is not a bug or a feature; it's a design decision.

You should indeed remove all trailing dots from all names in your database. PowerDNS
3.2 is slightly more tolerant about them than previous versions, but we still recommend
removing them.

Kind regards,
--
Peter van Dijk