[Pdns-users] TinyDNS Backend questions

Ruben d'Arco cyclops at prof-x.net
Fri Aug 31 12:05:12 UTC 2012

Hi,

On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 01:30:39PM +0200, xbgmsharp wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Thanks for the reply.
> I use PowerDNS's SVN version as TinyDNS backend is not ship by
> default in the package.
> So I believe, I have this patch apply,
> http://wiki.powerdns.com/trac/changeset/2622

Yep!

> I will apply the patch from github.
> According to my first test using dnsperf, PowerDNS with TinyDNS
> backend seen faster than TinyDNS himself.
> The biggest concern is stability to avoid PowerDNS to crash due to
> weird data or too many data.
> The file contains 26643 entries and errors.

PowerDNS can run with a guardian, so it would never crash and burn without launching again.
This can be set using the guardian=yes option in the config file (i'm not sure if it's a default).

The patch mentioned on github should avoid errors whenever there are errors in the data.cdb file.
All the times this happend, we could trace it down to an error in the data file, which results in wrong
data in the data.cdb file. Lot's of those errors are mentioned here:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jonathan.deboynepollard/FGA/djbdns-problems.html#tinydns-data-semantic-error
But, as you're a tinydns user, you'll probably already know about these :-)

> It use the default configuration from PowerDNS, I am sure it could
> be improve by tunning PowerDNS.

The performance improvement probably comes from caching that PowerDNS has.
http://doc.powerdns.com/performance-settings.html might be nice to read to gain some more understanding
of this.

> The system is Ubuntu 12.04 compile with gcc 4.6.3 on x86_64.
> The hardware is a one Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X3330 @2.66GHz with 4
> Cores and 4096M System RAM.
> It is not the production system but should give us a nice idea.
> I need to go deeper in the testing, but so far so good.
>
> PowerdNS with tinyDNS backend.
> Statistics:
>
>   Queries sent:         26608
>   Queries completed:    15416 (57.94%)
>   Queries lost:         11192 (42.06%)
>
>   Response codes:       NOERROR 15415 (99.99%), NXDOMAIN 1 (0.01%)
>   Average packet size:  request 45, response 61
>   Run time (s):         565.866733
>   Queries per second:   27.243164
>
>   Average Latency (s):  0.035546 (min 0.033069, max 0.056192)
>   Latency StdDev (s):   0.001457
>
> TinyDNS
> Statistics:
>
>   Queries sent:         26608
>   Queries completed:    11835 (44.48%)
>   Queries lost:         14773 (55.52%)
>
>   Response codes:       NOERROR 11834 (99.99%), NXDOMAIN 1 (0.01%)
>   Average packet size:  request 45, response 129
>   Run time (s):         745.820314
>   Queries per second:   15.868433
>
>   Average Latency (s):  0.049470 (min 0.041367, max 0.078622)
>   Latency StdDev (s):   0.004388
>
> Regards,
> Francois

Regards,