[Pdns-users] pdns-recursor: edns-subnet signalling

Peter van Dijk peter.van.dijk at netherlabs.nl
Mon Aug 13 09:36:00 UTC 2012

Hello Niklas,

On Aug 9, 2012, at 23:50 , Niklas wrote:

> It appears I am not the only one who seeks clarification on the edns
> issue. Like [1] and [2] I found there is an option disable-edns in the
> recursor.conf and even a counter for outgoing edns queries exists:
> noedns-outqueries (found it with rec_controll get-all)
>
> Still when I enable this on the recursor, the queries getting to the
> resolver omit the real remote ip. Instead they contain the IP of the
> ISP DNS twice. Not only that, but queries already containing a edns
> part appear to be reformatted too.

EDNS is a generic extension mechanism; edns-subnet is a specific use of that
mechanism. The recursor has some EDNS support but no edns-subnet support.

> Requests send with dig + edns client subnet plugin
>
> a) directly
> -> Q    xxx.abc IN      SOA     -1      10.0.0.109      10.0.1.4
> 10.0.1.13/32

auth+pipe picking up your edns-subnet data.

> b) via the recursor
> -> Q    yyy.abc IN      SOA     -1      10.0.1.12       10.0.1.4
> 10.0.1.12/32

Recursor is not passing on edns-subnet data as it simply does not support doing so. Auth is
passing the pipebackend the recursor IP as the realRemote as it has nothing better.

Kind regards,
--
Peter van Dijk
Netherlabs Computer Consulting BV - http://www.netherlabs.nl/