[Pdns-users] URGENT_HELP_REQUIRED_going live with power dns

Stefan Schmidt zaphodb at zaphods.net
Wed Apr 25 08:35:36 UTC 2012

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 8:37 AM, PARTH MONGA <kprprl at gmail.com> wrote:
> HI Peter and Fellow list members

Hi Parth,

> I am in a very critical situation i am moving my powerdns into production
> with a mysql backend and things were working smooth but after an hour i
> start getting these errors in the log files.
>

> Apr 25 11:47:14 172.16.14.242 pdns[8056]: Exception: Parsing record content:
> while parsing IP address, expected digits at position 0 in 'A'
> Apr 25 11:47:14 172.16.14.242 pdns[8056]: Exception building answer packet
> (Parsing record content: while parsing IP address, expected digits at
> position 0 in 'A') sending out servfail

>From what i can gather this error message means that for an A(ddress)
type record PowerDNS received 'A' from the backend instead of the
start of an IPv4 dotted quad which it expected. This means that for
some "IN A" record your content field has a value of 'A' instead of
the dotted quad (like 127.0.0.1).

> Used latest powerdns version all things are working fine and resolving but i
> am not getting why i am getting this error.

This check and the error message are in PowerDNS for a long time
already, at least since 2006, if you're just getting it now this could
either mean that the false entry in the content field is fresh or that
the zone/record just started getting queries.

 Stefan