[Pdns-users] Is DNAME supported (or going to be)?

Peter van Dijk peter.van.dijk at netherlabs.nl
Thu Sep 29 17:34:18 UTC 2011

Hello Sandro,

On Sep 29, 2011, at 10:31 AM, Sandro Tosi wrote:

> we're using PowerDNS v2.9.22 and we'd like to start using DNAME records. It seems from the documentation that record type is not supported: is it correct? Will the support be added anytime soon? If so, is there an easy way to enable (via a patch f.e.) on 2.9.22 ?

PowerDNS does not currently support DNAME in any version. There are no current plans for adding it, as there has been very little demand.

I believe implementing the CNAME-synthesis part of the DNAME RFC2672 (which should be enough, functionally) could be done by writing a simple pipebackend script. Having the DNAME records in your SQL records table should not cause any trouble with the various SQL-backends (although I have not verified this).

Kind regards,
Peter van Dijk