[Pdns-users] [Patch] SLAVE refresh performance

fredrik danerklint fredan-pdns at fredan.org
Fri Sep 16 12:26:37 UTC 2011

I think you have missed the point of the luabackend.

This backend does not have any kind of logic in it.

It only calls functions in Lua with the parameters received from PDNS:s
backend.

That means that you will have to implement to hole logic, by yourself, in Lua.

I did this backend since it can be easier to implement a backend for PDNS
within Lua than it can be with c++.

Take the ldapbackend for an example. If I have understand the development of
it it has stalled. Implement it in Lua, and I think, you can have even more
people working on it and have better support etc within Lua, since it is
easier to understand Lua syntax than c++ (well, ok. let's not have that as an
discussion now!). Basically this was the argument that I had with myself to
make the Luabackend.

So now back to your question. Take a look at line 184 in slave.cc (with the
patch applied). You will see thisone:

lua_pushnumber(lua, refresh);

Here the luabackend push the refresh number to the backend in Lua. You can use
it if you want since it actually optional.Until PDNS itself does make use of
this extra parameter, the refresh parameters will be zero (0).

> Does this patch actually implement the improved behavior? It seems this
> patch only extends the setFresh() function to accept the refresh value,
> but do not use it.
>
> klaus
>
> On 15.09.2011 16:41, fredrik danerklint wrote:
> > Here is a patch for the luabackend.

//fredan