[Pdns-users] Occasional TCP query timeouts.

Grant Keller gkeller at corp.sonic.net
Fri Sep 30 17:12:28 UTC 2011

Hello,

We have been having this problem with TCP queries timing out on one of
our nameservers running pdns 3. We have a monitor that runs every two
minutes, and every half hour or so it times out on its query. I can
reproduce this by  running the following:

while [ 1 ]; do
dig schwer.us +recurse +tcp +short +time=1 +retry=1 @c.ns.sr.sonic.net
date
sleep 1
done

If I let that run for a while, it will capture several timeouts:

; <<>> DiG 9.7.3 <<>> schwer.us +recurse +tcp +short +time=1 +retry=1
@c.ns.sr.sonic.net
;; global options: +cmd

The pdns.log has no significant entries at the times that this occures.
I have watched iptraf as I recieve the timeouts, and It dosn't seem that
we are hitting our max number of tcp connections (1000). This problem
first started in pdns-2.9.22, and continued after the upgrade. None of
our other name servers have this problem.

What would be the next step in troubleshooting this? Are there any extra
logging options I can turn on? Thanks in advance.

--
Grant Keller