[Pdns-users] SLAVE refresh performance

Fri Sep 9 13:20:36 UTC 2011

Hi!

I have PDNS 3.0 in a slave setup (not even answering queries, just
fetching zones and writing them into a postgresql database).

Currently ~10 000 zones are configured. Every slave-cycle-interval=60
PDNS checks if the "refresh" is expired, thus causing 10 000 SOA
queries, taking around 5 seconds.

Currently this is not a problem, but when adding around 2 000 000 zones,
that would take (if duration extends linear) around 1000 seconds, which
would mean that I have to increase the slave-cycle-interval, causing
much more delay in updating the zones.

Is it just the way that PDNS queries all 2mio SOA records for refresh
detection? This seems a bit inefficient.

I currently use:
  distributor-threads=32
  receiver-threads=8

Is there anything I can do to handle 2mio zones and still having a short
slave-cycle-interval?

Thanks
Klaus