[Pdns-users] [Q] pdsn recursor chroot environment error : rec_control = Fatal: Unable to receive message over control channel: Success

Peter van Dijk peter.van.dijk at netherlabs.nl
Mon Oct 31 17:00:38 UTC 2011

Hello S,

On Oct 27, 2011, at 15:57 , J4K wrote:

> root at sa51 /var/spool/powerdns/var/run # ls -l
> total 0
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 36 Oct 27 15:37 pdns_recursor.controlsocket ->
> /var/run/pdns_recursor.controlsocket
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 26 Oct 27 15:37 pdns_recursor.pid ->
> /var/run/pdns_recursor.pid

Symlink targets are subject to chroot rules too. When viewed within the chroot, your symlinks are just pointing to themselves. I would suggest experimenting with hardlinking them, or making the symlinks the other way around.

Note that when I try here, the socket ends up outside of the chroot but rec_control is still unable to get a response from the recursor.

Please let me know whether you get this running with symlinks or hard links in the right direction; if not, I will investigate whether there are bugs in this area.

Kind regards,
Peter van Dijk