[Pdns-users] Recursor not resolving certain domains.

Stefan Schmidt zaphodb at zaphods.net
Sun Nov 20 13:42:29 UTC 2011

On Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 12:33 PM, Oliver Kent <admin at peerx.co> wrote:
> The problem I am having, specifically relates to one domain that the
> recursor doesn't seem to be able to resolve, namely gogax.com. I have run
> traceroutes from the server and they are all returned fine. Similarly, I
> used dig to test whether the domain would resolve through google dns, and it
> does. So in my opinion, the issue would appear to be with the recursor.
>
> I put the recursor in trace mode recently and ran the query again. Here are
> the results from the log: https://pastee.org/5cq55 (password is powerdns).

It seems this log has been cut short as it stops with
Nov 18 14:31:13 DNSRS pdns_recursor[6707]: [1] www.gogax.com.: Trying
IP 208.66.71.21:53, asking 'www.gogax.com.|A'
up until that point it looks quite reasonable to me, meaning i noticed
nothing that should hinder successful lookup and answer by the
recursor.

> If anyone could tell me what I am doing wrong, it would be greatly
> appreciated. Also, if there is any other information you guys need, please
> let me know.

You could let us have a look at your config files too.
Check if allow-recursion in pdns.conf does allow your client to
actually get recursive results,
experiment with turning off allow-recursion-override and
lazy-recursion on and eventually dumping local network packets between
powerdns and recursor via tshark might give some glue as to where it
goes wrong.

> I am running Ubuntu Lucid 10.04, PowerDNS version 2.9.22-3 (installed
> through the Ubuntu repositories using apt-get) and PowerDNS recursor version
> 3.3-rc2 (installed via Stefan Schmidt's ppa).

Looks like i need to get that pap updated.

 Stefan