[Pdns-users] Behavior when asking for out-of-zone queries

Marc Haber mh+pdns-users at zugschlus.de
Tue Nov 15 13:18:33 UTC 2011

I have investigated the issue further, with the kind help of Peter. In
a lab setting, all tested versions of the authoritative pdns server
(2.9.22, 2.9.22.x.3 and 3.1-pre pulled from svn) behave correctly when
faced with a non-RD query and return an authoritative NOERROR with the
naked CNAME.

However, in the productive setup, the authoritative PowerDNS 2.9.22
returns a non-authoritative SERVFAIL even when faced with a non-RD
query, but strangely only when the query was issued by a recursor. dig
+norecurse gets an authoritative NOERROR. I have compared the queries
in the wireshark-parsed form and did not see a difference.

This is confusing. Any explanations?

Greetings
Marc