[Pdns-users] Wildcards other than "*"

bert hubert bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl
Thu May 26 20:35:34 UTC 2011

On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 05:29:33PM +0200, Marten Lehmann wrote:
> Hello,
>
> given the example domain whatever.com I just tried to insert the
> records "pop3.*" and "imap.*" for this zone. But trying to resolve

Hi Marten,

I'm afraid this has little to do with PowerDNS and everything with DNS.

> records like pop3.dont-know.whatever.com did lead to the expected
> result. Is this sort of wildcarding possible at all? Or only
> Subdomains with leading wildcards (like *.guess-what.whatever.com)?

Only that form is possible, you can't do 'pop3.*' I'm afraid.

If you want to achieve that you either need a PIPE backend in the
authoritative server, or need to do the quivalent in the Lua scripts on the
resolver side.

	Bert

> And what about wildcards and DNSSEC? I found this article:
> http://ds9a.nl/dnssec/index.html#id2466643 But I'm not sure if
> PowerDNS automatically increases the RRSET value.

That works.

	Bert