[Pdns-users] pdns/ldap funding, how much?

bert hubert bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl
Sat May 7 22:05:38 UTC 2011

On Thu, May 05, 2011 at 05:04:23PM -0400, Christopher Wood wrote:
> I don't know if anybody has asked how much #2 or #3 cost. How much money
> are we talking about, as a rounded figure per month or per year?
> After all, if enough people want this then perhaps it makes sense to spread the cost.

We've had one request from a company what the cost would be, we made an
estimate of around 3500 euros to fix up the LDAP backend bugs and support it
for the coming years.

This is probably beyond the 'have some people donate' amount, but for a
company that depends on LDAP, it should be quite doable.

I want to emphasize that almost all features in PowerDNS get implemented
because of reasons #1 or #2:

 1) We think something has wide utility, or is good for the internet or DNS,
    and should be in PowerDNS.
 2) There are people in the PowerDNS community developing & maintaining it.
 3) There are end-users with support contracts that need it, or there are
    end-users willing to fund the development directly.

	Bert

--
PowerDNS Website: http://www.powerdns.com/
PowerDNS Community Website: http://wiki.powerdns.com/