[Pdns-users] PowerDNS use statistics

bert hubert bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl
Sat May 7 19:28:54 UTC 2011

On Mon, May 02, 2011 at 10:13:47PM +0300, Nick Milas wrote:
> But are there any other surveys about DNS Software use which one
> would suggest as more reliable? Are there any comparative DNS server
> software usage trends data for the last 5-6 years ?
>
> Correctly or not, for many people, the installed base is an
> important indicator of a software's potential and dynamics.

To the best of our knowledge, around 40%-50% of all domains in .nl and .de
are served by PowerDNS. Austria shows somewhat lower numbers. These results
come from the national registries, and you should be able to find these
independently.

In the UK and in Italy, we know there are three installations hosting 350000
domains a piece. This should mean that .co.uk and .it should also see pretty
high numbers, based on these numbers alone.

Among the larger players, PowerDNS is probably the biggest single
implementation. The majority of very large players run software in the
category 'other', but immediately afterwards you should see PowerDNS.

Among smaller players, BIND dominates in a big way.

If the above does not please you, I can offer you a full refund.

	Bert