[Pdns-users] recursor sending servfail

Stefan Schmidt zaphodb at zaphods.net
Tue Jun 21 14:56:21 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 10:58 AM, Guy Baxter
<GBaxter at blackpoolsixth.ac.uk>wrote:

> Hi,

Hi,

> I've installed the newest pdns and pdns recursor packages avaliable for
> centos 5.6 via yum
>
> I have an issue with pdns recursor, it continually sends servfail. The
> monitor thinks that the replies are being sent however:
>

> recursing-answers       354     Number of recursive answers sent out
> recursing-questions     355     Number of questions sent to recursor

A server failure response is still a perfectly normal and valid dns answer
and hence will be counted as one.

> Here are the bits of config from my config files:
>
> pdns.conf:
>
> allow-recursion=192.168.1.0/24,127.0.0.0/8
> launch=gmysql.......
> local-address=192.168.1.228
> local-port=53
> master=yes
> recursor=127.0.0.1:54
> webserver-address=192.168.1.228
> webserver-port=8081
>
> recursor.conf
>
> allow-from=192.168.1.0/24,127.0.0.0/8
> daemon=yes
> local-address=127.0.0.1
> local-port=54

There is nothing wrong with binding the recursor to 127.0.0.1:54.
If you not explicitly configure a query-local-address the special 0.0.0.0
will be used for outgoing queries causing the OS to look for an appropriate
interface and use the primary address assigned to that interface.
As that is usually the IP for the interface that carries your default route
please make sure that any firewall rules will allow udp and tcp port 53
answers out and back in from basically 'the world'.

 Stefan