[Pdns-users] powerdns recursor and dns prefix

Leen Besselink leen at consolejunkie.net
Sun Jun 19 08:42:55 UTC 2011

On 06/17/2011 09:30 PM, Konstantine Karosanidze wrote:
> Hello,

Hi,

> I run powerdns recursor  (v 3.3, from freebsd ports) as an ISP
> recursive dns (allmost default config I just use nxdomain lua script
> for not found domain to be redirected to search page).
>
> It's been working fine for a while but couple days ago I noticed that
> some clients have problem with resolving.
>
> Problem is following: all my clients get dns prefix from dhcp, lets
> say : domain.com <http://domain.com>
>
> and i see some requests to dns like: google.com.domain.com
> <http://google.com.domain.com> that does not resolv and it's correct
> that it does not resolve.
>
> I understand that it happens because windows machine ads prefix to
> requested domain, but is there any possibility to overcome this problem?

It isn't just Windows machines, just seen the 'search'-option in
resolv.conf(5) on any Unix-like system.

If possible I wouldn't try to redirect the nxdomain it breaks many
things, especially domains which are down for a short while. I would
like to ask you don't do that.

But if really think you must and what to fix it then I would change the
lua script to understand that domain.com should not be redirected.

I would probably also keep the ttl as low as I possible to make problems
you create go away as fast as possible, as low as I think the recursors
can handle (as it will obviously get a lot more queries) with a margin
ofcourse.

Have a nice weekend,
    Leen.