[Pdns-users] Potentially Silly Question! - auth server, dns-(non) sec + sec.

Chris Russell Chris.Russell at knowledgeit.co.uk
Thu Jul 21 16:38:21 UTC 2011

Hi Stefan,

 Thanks for the reply.

 Sorry for the confusion. I think "option for dns-sec in the backend" is the key here, because I have this set, as I want to serve some dns-sec zones but not all.

 Essentially, PDNS, with Mysql Backend (only), and I`m trying to serve dns-sec, and non dns-sec zones.

launch=gmysql
gmysql-dnssec

 Set in pdns.conf.

 In the database:

Domains:

|  6 | wibble.com               | NULL   |       NULL | NATIVE |            NULL | NULL    |
+----+--------------------------+--------+------------+--------+-----------------+---------+

mysql> select * from records where domain_id=6;
+-----+-----------+-----------------+------+------------------------------------------------------------------------------+-------+------+-------------+-----------+------+
| id  | domain_id | name            | type | content                                                                      | ttl   | prio | change_date | ordername | auth |
+-----+-----------+-----------------+------+------------------------------------------------------------------------------+-------+------+-------------+-----------+------+
| 694 |         6 | wibble.com      | SOA  | ns1.server.co.uk hostmaster.server.net 2011011702 10800 3600 1209600 86400 | 86400 |    0 |        NULL |           |    0 |

| 695 |         6 | mail.wibble.com | A    | 1.1.1.1          | 86400 |    0 |        NULL |           |    0 |
| 696 |         6 | wibble.com      | NS   | ns1.server.co.uk | 86400 |    0 |        NULL |           |    0 |

 So I have name server (ns1.server.co.uk is the physical server), SOA and an A record. The auth field (for DNS-SEC is 0)

 However results from dig:

[root at ns1 ~]# dig wibble.com @localhost SOA

; <<>> DiG 9.3.6-P1-RedHat-9.3.6-16.P1.el5 <<>> wibble.com @localhost SOA
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;wibble.com.                    IN      SOA

;; ANSWER SECTION:
wibble.com.             86400   IN      SOA     ns1.server.co.uk hostmaster.server.net 2011011702 10800 3600 1209600 86400

;; Query time: 1 msec
;; SERVER: 127.0.0.1#53(127.0.0.1)
;; WHEN: Thu Jul 21 17:22:56 2011
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 101

 So, no issues with the SOA, but the A

[root at ns1 ~]# dig mail.wibble.com @localhost A

; <<>> DiG 9.3.6-P1-RedHat-9.3.6-16.P1.el5 <<>> mail.wibble.com @localhost A
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;mail.wibble.com.               IN      A

;; Query time: 1 msec
;; SERVER: 127.0.0.1#53(127.0.0.1)
;; WHEN: Thu Jul 21 17:28:20 2011
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 33

 And in the logs:

Jul 21 17:25:19 ns1 pdns[14821]: Should not get here (mail.wibble.com|1): please run pdnssec rectify-zone wibble.com

 Im guessing as I have gmysql-dnssec set, its assuming all zones are DNS-SEC enabled.

 So the question then becomes, can I run 2 gmysql backends, one for sec one for not. Docs don't really tell me this, especially preferably in the same database.

Cheers

Chris