[Pdns-users] PowerDNSSEC Progress: ready for a first look

bert hubert bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl
Thu Jan 6 19:00:59 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jan 06, 2011 at 11:55:24AM -0500, Mathew Hennessy wrote:
> Excellent!  BTW, can PowerDNSSEC operate in the following way as one would expect:
>
> PowerDNS supermaster which has DNSSEC RRs but doesn't do DNSSEC (aka
> traditional PowerDNS) providing data to PowerDNS slaves.  If you use the
> new code with a compatible backend on the slaves (such as gsqlite3), and
> your whois servers only point to those slaves, will it work?

Almost! If you did that up till just now, you would have had to run 'pdnssec
rectify-zone' on your slaves after each AXFR.

However, thank you for raising this idea, this sounds like a very valid use
case.

It has just been implemented in changeset
http://wiki.powerdns.com/trac/changeset/1819

I tested it against an ancient server, and now I have a fully
operational DNSSEC zone!

It works fully automatic on retrieving a zone for which we have local keying
material.

In this way, PowerDNSSEC can now be used to 'dnssec-ify' existing data, a
bit like 'phreebird'. http://freshmeat.net/projects/phreebird

	Bert