[Pdns-users] Performance of pdns authoritative server on big machines with different backends

Kenneth Marshall ktm at rice.edu
Tue Jan 4 15:55:47 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jan 04, 2011 at 03:50:50PM +0100, Marc Haber wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 04, 2011 at 08:38:57AM -0600, Kenneth Marshall wrote:
> > Have you tried running multiple PDNS servers at once with possibly
> > multiple MySQL backends as needed to scale?
>
> Isn't threading being used to avoid this? I can try multiple PDNS
> servers, but configuring multiple MySQL servers might be a challenge
> in the given setup.
>
> Greetings
> Marc

Threading does help which is why you are using as many cores as you
are. There may be a bottleneck that needs to be addressed that keeps
the system from scaling linearly. In that case, a second front-end
pointed at the same backend database may give you 2X the number of
queries/sec if the choke point is in the PDNS frontend and not the
DB backend.

Cheers,
Ken