[Pdns-users] IPv6 DNS doesn't work

Yves Goergen nospam.list at unclassified.de
Mon Jan 17 17:14:54 UTC 2011

Hi,

I have installed PowerDNS including the recursor and I'm running it over
IPv4 as well as IPv6 for resolving my own and other people's A and AAAA
records. So far all's fine.

Now I've run the page test-ipv6.com locally on that machine, and it
found that I can't resolve hosts that are only listed in an IPv6 DNS
server. I have checked that on the terminal and came to the same result:

# host aaaa.v6ns.test-ipv6.com
Host aaaa.v6ns.test-ipv6.com not found: 2(SERVFAIL)

I see the following lines in my syslog around that time but I'm not sure
whether they're related:

> Jan 14 14:07:31 mond pdns[2116]: Received a malformed qdomain from 2a01:4f8:121:****::2, '!111.94.215.90!': sending servfail
> Jan 14 14:07:31 mond pdns[2116]: Received a malformed qdomain from 178.63.102.***, '!111.94.215.90!': sending servfail

The obfuscated IP addresses are mine, I don't know the second address in
both lines.

Does anybody know what's going on here?

This is an Ubuntu 10.4 Server, 32 bit, with pdns-server 2.9.22-3 and
pdns-recursor 3.1.7.2-1.

Here's the recursor config:

> allow-from=127.0.0.1/32
> dont-query=
> local-address=127.0.0.1
> local-port=5300
> quiet=yes
> setgid=pdns
> setuid=pdns

And here's the pdns config (both the package default and my
customisations in a separate file):

-----

> launch=gmysql
> gmysql-socket=/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock
> gmysql-user=***
> gmysql-password=***
> gmysql-dbname=***
>
> local-address=178.63.102.***
> local-ipv6=2a01:4f8:121:****::2
>
> # Where to allow recursive DNS queries from:
> # (Should be any local interface)
> recursor=127.0.0.1:5300
> allow-recursion=178.63.102.***, 2a01:4f8:121:****::2, 127.0.0.1, ::1
>
> # Where to allow zone transfer requests from:
> # (Should be all secondary nameservers)
> allow-axfr-ips=***
> disable-axfr=no
> master=on

Somebody recommended me to enable the 'do-ipv6-additional-processing'
option but it didn't help at all. That option is also not documented in
more detail than that it does some IPv6 processing...

The local DNS server is used as the only one for local resolution in
/etc/resolv.conf.