[Pdns-users] Recursor DNS Cache Question

Josh Barron jbarron at zayo.com
Tue Jan 4 20:59:16 UTC 2011

Hello,

I have an interesting issue, that hopefully someone can help me resolve.

I have 2 DNS servers running PDNS and PDNS-Recursor.  Both are slaved to
a single master server (doesn't run recursor) using MySQL as a backend.

When I query a given domain (neither of these servers are authoritative
for the domain in question) from NS1 I receive a different response than
when I query the domain from NS2.  Example below.

Can anyone assist?  I'm not sure how to purge the cache.  I attempted
"pdns_control purge," it didn't have any affect.  The record cache on
216.222.1.2 is the wrong one.  Thanks for your help.

[root at dns01 user]# dig @216.222.1.3 ns2.sawtoothos.com

; <<>> DiG 9.3.6-P1-RedHat-9.3.6-4.P1.el5_4.2 <<>> @216.222.1.3
ns2.sawtoothos.com

;; QUESTION SECTION:

;ns2.sawtoothos.com.            IN      A

;; ANSWER SECTION:

ns2.sawtoothos.com.     36792   IN      A       216.222.54.245

;; Query time: 2 msec

;; SERVER: 216.222.1.3#53(216.222.1.3)

;; WHEN: Tue Jan  4 13:45:32 2011

;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 52

[root at dns01 user]# dig @216.222.1.2 ns2.sawtoothos.com

; <<>> DiG 9.3.6-P1-RedHat-9.3.6-4.P1.el5_4.2 <<>> @216.222.1.2
ns2.sawtoothos.com

;; QUESTION SECTION:

;ns2.sawtoothos.com.            IN      A

;; ANSWER SECTION:

ns2.sawtoothos.com.     118415  IN      A       216.222.54.249

;; Query time: 2 msec

;; SERVER: 216.222.1.2#53(216.222.1.2)

;; WHEN: Tue Jan  4 13:45:40 2011

;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 52