[Pdns-users] zone configuration

Imre Gergely gimre at narancs.net
Sat Jan 1 08:07:51 UTC 2011

You will have to be a little more specific on this one... at least
attach your config files so we can see where the problem could be.
You are sure it's not a firewall issue, right?

On 12/31/2010 04:16 AM, donaldbjames at suddenlinkmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have another question.
>
> On another computer that is connected directly to the internet and has a
> static ip, I have the same powerdns configuration and I can't get the
> SOA nameserver to respond to queries from the slave nameservers.
>
> Do you think the problem could be in pdns.conf?
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Regards,
>
> Don James
>
> On 12/29/2010 12:59 AM, Imre Gergely wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> For MNAME in the SOA record you should have your primary nameserver,
>> like ns1.donaldbjames.info. It definitely should be one of the
>> nameservers of the domain, one of these:
>>
>> ;; ANSWER SECTION:
>> donaldbjames.info.      86332   IN      NS      b.ns.buddyns.com.
>> donaldbjames.info.      86332   IN      NS      ns1.twisted4life.com.
>> donaldbjames.info.      86332   IN      NS      ns1.donaldbjames.info.
>> donaldbjames.info.      86332   IN      NS      ns2.afraid.org.
>>
>> The SOA should be something like:
>>
>> donaldbjames.info.      86400   IN      SOA     ns1.donaldbjames.info.
>> donaldbjames.suddenlinkmail.com. 2010122811 10800 3600 604800 3600
>>
>> As for the recursor and auth server running at the same time, you must
>> have them listen on two separate IP addresses if you want to run them
>> both on port 53. This would be the recommended way.
>> You could also have pdns-recursor listen on another port, say 53000 and
>> then set the recursor= option in the auth server to forward requests to
>> the recursor. This is not recommended but you can do it if you have a
>> small site, or you just use the recursor on localhost. But then you
>> could bind the recursor to 127.0.0.1 and the auth server to whatever
>> other IP address you have on the box.
>>
>> On Tue, 28 Dec 2010 20:46:05 -0600, donaldbjames at suddenlinkmail.com wrote:
>>> Hi folks,
>>>
>>> I managed to get powerdns configured and running.  I used poweradmin
>>> to enter the zone data for my SOA zones.
>>>
>>> However, when I check my configuration with http://www.intodns.com, I
>>> get the following error:
>>>
>>> SOA MNAME entry         WARNING: SOA MNAME (donaldbjames.info) is not
>>> listed as a primary nameserver at your parent nameserver!
>>>
>>> My zone is donaldbjames.info.  If you like, go to http://www.intodns.com
>>> type in "donaldbjames.info" in the box at the top, click on "report",
>>> wait a few minutes and then scroll down the page.  You will see a
>>> yellow box with a warning.
>>>
>>> I am at a loss to figure out what setting is missing in my powerdns
>>> setup.
>>>
>>> Another thing:  When I try to run the pdns-recursor, it won't start
>>> while the SOA nameserver is running.  They both bind to port 53.  I
>>> tried running the pdns-recursor on port 5300.  It will start but won't
>>> act as a caching nameserver.
>>>
>>> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Don James

Imre Gergely
Yahoo!: gergelyimre | ICQ#: 101510959
MSN: gergely_imre | GoogleTalk: gergelyimre
gpg --keyserver subkeys.pgp.net --recv-keys 0x34525305