[Pdns-users] PowerDNS in an ISP environment

Erik Weber twiztar at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 18:16:15 UTC 2011

On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 7:00 PM, Brielle Bruns <bruns at 2mbit.com> wrote:
> Some other things to consider why running PDNS is better:
>
> 1) BIND is agonizingly slow when loading lots of zones.  Only recently have
> they bothered to work on that so it doesn't take 6 hours to load a ton of
> domains.
>
> 2) Auth and caching services can be run separately, helping keep one
> potential issue from affecting another.
>
> 3) Config options are a heck of alot more easy to use/understand
>
> 4) Its trivially easy to run multiple backends, including the bind backend,
> and even run multiple server instances isolating types of customers, etc.
>
> 5) LUA and pipe backends

Just shooting in with a feature that I just came to remember.

6) Fancy records. I haven't researched BIND for years, so I'm not sure
if that's easily supported there now. But with PowerDNS it's easy to
set up web forwarding, it has literally saved me from creating
hundreds of empty web config files just to redirect somewhere else.

You do have to implement the whole forwarding thingy yourself (unless
it's in contrib or something by now?), but it's a few lines of code in
e.g. PHP or your favorite web language.

--
Erik