[Pdns-users] PowerDNS in an ISP environment

Erik Weber twiztar at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 08:11:12 UTC 2011

On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 10:05 AM, Chris Russell
<Chris.Russell at knowledgeit.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi Bert,
>
>> The best I can do is refer to this thread, which lists some data points: http://mailman.powerdns.com/pipermail/pdns-users/2011-May/007719.html
>
>  Cheers, that's a good start :)

We're an ISP utilizing PowerDNS, although small scale if you compare
us to others/other countries (~2000 domains).

>> Measuring the 'company domain name' with fpdns is of limited utility - the company domain name itself is often not on the ISP production platform.
>
>  Yes I know, it more was I was expecting pdns or no match, but it came back with bind.
>
>  It's not so much the question of "is this supported 24x7" etc, I`m already impressed with the level of support provided on these lists which your response is a fine example of which says how good the commercial support would be. We may go down that route but I think their feedback is really more just about a name. My direct manager knows Bind, so I have to justify "not bind", if you see what I mean.

Our selling point was the MySQL backend, which to be true, is the
mainly reason we use PowerDNS. When we started it was the only DNS
software with a stable MySQL backend, and since it has worked well we
haven't looked for alternatives.
The MySQL backend makes it a whole lot easier for us to write
management software, as we don't have to fuddle with file permissions,
zone reloading and what not. I don't know if that's something you
would work towards/use.

--
Erik