[Pdns-users] PowerDNS in an ISP environment

bert hubert bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl
Tue Aug 16 07:50:16 UTC 2011

On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 08:38:07AM +0100, Chris Russell wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Quick question - is anyone on the list using PDNS in an ISP environment, especially for auth services ?

The best I can do is refer to this thread, which lists some data points:
http://mailman.powerdns.com/pipermail/pdns-users/2011-May/007719.html

DENIC and SIDN (the .de and .nl registries) still measure PowerDNS at around
40%-50% of all their domains.

You might also want to consider that SIDN and NIC.AT underwrote part of
PowerDNS 3.0 development, please see the 3.0 release notes for more details.

> Have prepped PDNS to replace our Bind instances however management have
> raised concerns over moving away from the "industry standard", so have
> asked for more justification on the change in software.  Already have some
> ideas but some "real world" use cases would really be the clincher.

If your management wants assurance on PowerDNS performance & reliability,
they might want to consider joining the other serious users that have taken
out a support agreement with a 2 or 4 hour SLA which is available.

I'm not sure if a lot of major users will chime in on the list - the larger
the company, the less likely they are to share their details on the list.

The largest PowerDNS deployments are around 8 million domains, and loads of
deployments are million+.

Measuring the 'company domain name' with fpdns is of limited utility - the
company domain name itself is often not on the ISP production platform.
fpdns also does not identify recent PowerDNS versions.

	Bert