[Pdns-users] Documentation on populating backend database tables

Sebastian Tennant sebyte at smolny.plus.com
Sun Apr 24 22:23:03 UTC 2011

Quoth Kenneth Marshall <ktm at rice.edu>:
> The only thing missing is the SOA record to actually define your
> domain and you should be good to go.

Do simple DNS queries work without an SOA record I wonder?

The reason I ask is that I set up my own nameserver once before, years ago,
which seemed (to me) to work fine, but I have no recollection of setting up an
SOA record, whereas I do remember setting up NS and A records.

"Bloody amateurs", I can hear you mutter.

> The content field is set as one string containing all the fields:
>
> content = 'primary-nameserver email-address-for-problems serial-number \
>   refresh retry expire minimum-ttl'
>
> some reasonable values:
>
> content = 'ns1.foo.net me.foo.net 2011042400 10800 900 1200000 3600'

Thanks.

Again, regarding the manual, it might be worth pointing out that pdns adds
trailing periods everywhere they are required.

> Email should be with dots, i.e. ktm at rice.edu -> ktm.rice.edu in the record.

Yes, I knew this.  Odd decision that one, IMHO.

For others who might read this thread in the future, I found this page very
helpful:

 http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/dnsrecords.htm

Thanks again.

Sebastian
--
Emacs' AlsaPlayer - Music Without Jolts
Lightweight, full-featured and mindful of your idyllic happiness.