[Pdns-users] Documentation on populating backend database tables

Kenneth Marshall ktm at rice.edu
Fri Apr 22 21:27:28 UTC 2011

On Fri, Apr 22, 2011 at 09:18:45PM +0000, Sebastian Tennant wrote:

> How, for example, do I set up pdns as an authoritative name server for foo.com
> and publish the addresses of two subdomains (ns1 and ns2):
>
> My guess would be something like this:
>
>  INSERT INTO domains (name,type) VALUES ('foo.com', ???);
>  -- what does type mean here?
>
>  INSERT INTO records (domain_id, name, type, ttl)
>    VALUES (1, '', 'NS', 259200);
>
>  INSERT INTO records (domain_id, name, type, ttl)
>    VALUES (1, 'ns1', 'A', 86400);
>
>  INSERT INTO records (domain_id, name, type, ttl)
>    VALUES (1, 'ns2', 'A', 86400);
>
> But wait... where do the IP addresses go?
>
> Any help/tips/advice/pointers much appreciated.
>
> sebyte

Here is a basic desciption of the fields and queries that PDNS
uses:

http://doc.powerdns.com/generic-mypgsql-backends.html#id587910

You can use that information to determine what to INSERT since
the queries used for sqlite are the same as the Generic MySQL and
PgSQL backends.

Consult your favorite DNS RFC/documentation to see what records
you will need to set up a zone.

Cheers,
Ken