[Pdns-users] Differences between slave and superslave

Christian Hofstaedtler ch at zeha.at
Mon Sep 13 19:16:50 UTC 2010

* Francis Ramírez Verdugo <frankeys2 at hotmail.com> [100913 20:50]:

> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to figure out when a name server is
> acting as slave and when as superslave. I mean, What is the difference which
> makes it to be called in these two ways?

A superslave [1] is a slave with a configured list of supermasters. How
this is configured depends on the backend your're using. For the generic
mysql/pgsql backend please look at [2].

> BTW, I supose that the opposite scenario is between
> master and supermaster. In fact seting up a name server as supermaster means
> that if another one is a slave of it, actually it is a superslave.

There is no special supermaster operation. Any nameserver which is
able to act as a master is also a supermaster. This also holds true
for other nameserver products.

  Christian

 [1] http://doc.powerdns.com/slave.html#SUPERMASTER
 [2] http://doc.powerdns.com/generic-mypgsql-backends.html#AEN6343