[Pdns-users] CNAME records are not returned in answer section by default

Derrik Pates demon at devrandom.net
Fri Sep 3 22:22:17 UTC 2010

On 09/03/2010 03:06 AM, Walery Studennikov wrote:
> When I ask A record for domain and A record dowsn't exists, but CNAME
> record exists instead, I want pdns to return CNAME records and
> status:NOERROR, but now it doesn't.

You don't want to do this. CNAME + NXDOMAIN is the correct response for
an authoritative server without recursion when the CNAME target needs
chasing. The recursor knows that this means "oh, the authoritative
server doesn't know anything about the CNAME target, I need to find it
myself".

> It should return NOERROR, but it returns NXDOMAIN.

No. No, it really shouldn't. Why would you possibly want to do this? The
DNS RFCs are pretty explicit about this.

> But I want both: status:NOERROR and CNAME record in answer section.
> How to achieve this?

What exactly are you trying to achieve here? You're going to have to
explain this, because basically what you're asking for here is a
*broken* nameserver. The behavior you're claiming as wrong is exactly
what it should be.

--
Derrik Pates
demon at devrandom.net