[Pdns-users] Multi server deployment

Josh Berry jberry at plus.net
Fri Nov 12 13:17:27 UTC 2010

Hi Atha,

Just though I would add that this is exactly how we do things where I work, but with an additional layer that may or may not be necessary for you.

We have our slaves behind load balancers (Nortel Alteon's in our case) that can do UDP session balancing so that there is literally no down time ever, not even the odd timeout if a slave dies since the load balancer just fails the server and the load is moved onto the remaining slaves. Very handy if you have any applications that are very sensitive with regards to the speed of DNS responses, and especially if you have some load balancers that do the job in your network already!

Other than that I can heartily recommend a deployment along these lines.

Cheers,
Josh

Atha,

Let me share with you what we did at the company I used to work for (and this is an identical configuration to what I have setup for myself). We don't have master and slave PDNS servers. We have "workers" of sorts. Our master and slaves are the MySQL backends.

We have a master MySQL server which is the server that we perform all writes against. It serves as the master backend, and no PDNS installations connect to it directly. In fact, PDNS isn't even installed on the server that hosts the master backend. Then, on each physical (or virtual) DNS server, we have MySQL server and PDNS installed. The MySQL server, which is a slave backend, replicates off of the master backend. Then, PDNS connects to the local MySQL server for its backend.

<snip>

Nick