[Pdns-users] pdns and default-ttl option

Derrik Pates demon at devrandom.net
Thu Nov 4 19:40:27 UTC 2010

On 11/4/10 1:32 PM, Dmitriy Lyfar wrote:
> Thank you. Is there any way to control TTL for resource records in
> recursor? Sometimes I see:
>
> ggg.com <http://ggg.com>.        428271    IN    A    212.72.60.198
>
> Where recursor obtains this TTL value?

As I said, it gets it from the authoritative server, then counts down
over time until it reaches the time where the record is no longer good,
and it throws it away. I did a quick query for 'ggg.com', and the
authoritative servers for it provide a TTL of 432000 seconds, so a
little math shows that the recursor you queried last retrieved that
record slightly over 1 hour prior. There's not a way in pdns_recursor to
override what's sent out as the record TTL, but as Kenneth pointed out,
there's a good reason for clients to be able to see that, so trying to
override it is probably not a good idea in the long run.

--
Derrik Pates
demon at devrandom.net