[Pdns-users] [recursor] configure could be more user-friendly

Derrik Pates demon at devrandom.net
Wed May 26 16:16:13 UTC 2010

On 05/26/2010 12:45 AM, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> ./configure is not very helpful when it cannot find a library. For
> instance, if Boost is not found (because it is in /usr/pkg):
>
> % ./configure
> Testing dependencies and compiler.
> Using gmake to build
[trimming compiler output]
> Instead of something like, more common among free Unix programs:
>
> Cannot find the Boost library <http://boost.org/>. If it is installed, use --with-boost
>
> I cannot even use --help to find documentation, it yields the same
> error message.
>

> PowerDNS recursor, version 3.2

I actually had similar troubles trying to build the v3.2 recursor, but
with Boost installed. However, I made the mistake of using the Boost
packages included with CentOS; it seems that the 1.33.x version of Boost
included in CentOS doesn't have some features that are needed for the
new recursor code, but nowhere did I see this new dependency noted, nor
did the configure script bitch me out about "your boost is too old,
please upgrade". I had to grab sources from Fedora 10 (since Fedora 11
and up's RPM format change, backbuilding SRPMs is much more difficult,
grr) for Boost 1.39.0 and use that, but something should really be done
to make people aware of this, and not have to go scour Google to figure
out why the recursor won't build.

--
Derrik Pates
demon at devrandom.net