[Pdns-users] Acheiving 40,000 QPS

Lee Standen standen at staff.iinet.net.au
Mon May 17 07:23:21 UTC 2010

Thanks for that information, Bert.

I had seen the documentation before... perhaps I should provide some more information.

Here are the options I'm using at the moment (I've tried several values):

disable-packetcache=no
local-address=0.0.0.0
local-port=53
max-cache-entries=4000000
max-packetcache-entries=4000000
single-socket=off
threads=8

Here's the results of the second run using the same command line you had below... the data file I found using a quick google search for the filename you used:

./queryperf -q 1000 -l 100 < queryfile-example-3million

Statistics:

  Parse input file:     multiple times
  Run time limit:       100 seconds
  Ran through file:     0 times

  Queries sent:         1285008 queries
  Queries completed:    1284175 queries
  Queries lost:         833 queries
  Queries delayed(?):   0 queries

  RTT max:              5.000198 sec
  RTT min:              0.000002 sec
  RTT average:          0.074771 sec
  RTT std deviation:    0.265890 sec
  RTT out of range:     1 queries

  Percentage completed:  99.94%
  Percentage lost:        0.06%

  Started at:           Mon May 17 07:15:32 2010
  Finished at:          Mon May 17 07:17:17 2010
  Ran for:              104.875333 seconds

  Queries per second:   12244.776377 qps

I just double-checked the hardware and I've actually got 4 cores available, not 8 as I initially thought:

processor       : 3
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 15
model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU            5150  @ 2.66GHz
stepping        : 6
cpu MHz         : 2667.294
cache size      : 4096 KB

Lastly, I'm using the amd64 deb from the powerdns web site on Ubuntu 10.04 rather than building a new binary.  It was assumed that those binaries would be optimized, but if they're not, I'm happy to try building it myself.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you might have :)