[Pdns-users] Acheiving 40,000 QPS

Lee Standen standen at staff.iinet.net.au
Mon May 17 05:45:46 UTC 2010

Hi All,

We're looking to trial PowerDNS as an option to replace our Nominum CNS servers in the next few months, and we're impressed by the performance claimed by PowerDNS.

I've deployed a recursive server and have attempted to replay some captured traffic, but based on my initial testing, I'm only able to pull about 2500 requests per second.

Does any documentation exist which describes which settings must be changed to achieve the claimed 40,000 requests per second?

The server is currently deployed on an IBM HS-21XM blade, which is an 8 core Xeon system.

Thanks